I am always looking to find and try out great new recipes that are perfect for making over a campfire while road tripping in my Alabama RV. The latest RV and camping recipe I have recently come across is your good ole fashioned campfire macaroni and cheese. This recipe is especially great if you are going to be camping and RVing with kids because they can easily make it themselves with your supervision. Plus, there is no need to mess up your RV’s kitchen with this one. All you’ll need is to get a good campfire going (reference to some of my prior blog entries to learn how to get the perfect fire started), a few ingredients and the following instructions. Recipe yields one serving per person.
- 1 (4 3/8-inch) disposable aluminum pie pan
- 1/2 cup cooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12- by 16-inch piece of foil
- Depending on who is doing the cooking for this one, you or the kids will first need to combine the already cooked macaroni, cheeses, milk, butter, salt and pepper in the individual aluminum pans.
- Since you will be cooking over an open flame, you will then need to seal the pans twice over with aluminum foil. Fold over the extra foil at the top of the pans on the edges to give yourself a sturdy handle that you can poke a stick or tongs through in order to hold it over the fire.
- Hold the aluminum packet over your campfire for about 7 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted.
- Set the packet aside for a minute or two to let cool before opening it up. Stir up the macaroni and cheese and enjoy!
A great side dish recipe that works well with pretty much any other campfire dish you serve up. Know of any other great RV and camping recipes? Share them with us at Madison RV – we love learning about tried and true campfire dishes!